- DENSAN Search
DENSAN SearchTRADITIONAL CRAFTS
The name of Ushikubi Tsumugi comes from the place name of Ushikubi-mura (current Shiramine-mura, Ishikawa) of the foot of Hakusan which is the straight production center. When defeated soldier Ohata of Genji which lost in revolt of terminal Heiji in the Heian era flees into Ushikubi-mura and held Yamashiro, we are informed by place that tell women of village the skill so that wives of Ohata who went together weave plane (hata) because it was superior when it began. Description of "mo*so" of the early period of Edo era is beginning by documents. Is said that was sold to the whole country widely late in the Edo era; around 1935 of production peaked.
Ushikubi Tsumugi is named after a village called Ushikubi, which lies at the foot of Mount Hakuzan, where this fabric is produced. This village is now called Shiramineson and is in present-day Ishikawa Prefecture.
Kaga Yuzen Dyeing
Beginning of Kaga Yuzen sails up to "umesen" (umezome) which is dyeing technique peculiar to Kaga. It is written down for documents that there has been already "umesen" in middle part of the 15th century.
The origins of Kaga Yuzen go back to a type of dyeing called ume-zome, which was unique to the area. This dyeing technique already existed in the middle of the 15th century and can be verified through written records. Besides ume-zome, other very old methods of dyeing called kenbo-zome and iro-emon are also part of Kaga's legacy of dyeing and went under the general heading of okuni-zome.
We were mainly informed by Kyoto Kaga Nui as decorations called French sublime decorations for Buddhist temple (we carry) such as shoulder-worn robes (this morning) of dashiki (we beat and spread), priest of Buddhist altar with propagation of Buddhism to the Kaga district early in the Muromachi era.
Closely linked with the spread of Buddhism in the area, embroidery was introduced to the province of Kaga from Kyoto in the Muromachi period (1392-1573) and was used for the decoration of such religious trappings as altar cloths and surplice worn by monks.
It is Old Kutani Yaki (kokutaniyaki) that was begun in the ground of Kutani chinaware at the in the middle time in the 17th century by clay for chinaware having been discovered in mine of Kutani chinaware and craftsman of Kaga feudal clan having learned technique made with porcelain in present Arita-cho, Saga. Kutani porcelain made up the unique powerful style beauty to have both generosity and flamboyance of Hyakumangoku, Kaga culture, but was not made suddenly around the end of the 17th century. Kutani Yaki came to be burnt again afterwards when the 19th century began.
The first porcelain to be produced in the Kutani area was in the 17th century, when a member of the Kaga clan, Goto Saijiro, who had studied the techniques of making porcelain in Arita in northern Kyushu, set up a kiln making Kokutani ware, a suitable porcelain clay having been discovered in the area.
Wajima Lacquer Ware
It is "door (shunuritobira) where the oldest thing was made with Wajima Nuri in the Muromachi era painted in red", but, by remains investigations, Laquer Ware and tool in the Kamakura era are found,
Although the oldest piece of Wajima Nuri is the shunuri-tobira made in the Muromachi period (1392-1573), other items and tools have been found during surveys of archaeological sites that date back to the Kamakura period (1185-1333). Lacquer ware is therefore known to have been made much earlier. During the Edo period (1600-1868), Wajima Nuri was known for its durability and was being used in the homes of farmers and merchants up and down the country. By the end of the 19th century it was also being used in restaurants and inns and designs gradually became grander and more decorative.
Yamanaka Lacquer Ware
We do by potter's wheel ban kiga opening that people of craftsman group where we emigrated to for good materials in the latter half of the 16th century performed.
The origins of this craft date back to the second half of the 16th century, when a group of craftsmen moved into the area in search of good materials and began turning bowls and other things.
Kanazawa Lacquer Ware
Kaga feudal clan which had power in area around current Ishikawa in the Edo era laid emphasis on promotion of arts and crafts.
The Kaga clan, which held sway over the area now known as Ishikawa Prefecture, actively promoted the arts and many crafts. Kanazawa Shikki was just one of those and dates back to the beginning of the Edo period (1600-1868).
Kanazawa Household Buddhist Altars
Household Buddhist Altars and Fittings
Beginning of Kanazawa Butsudan can date back until the 17th century.
It is possible to trace the origins of Kanazawa Butsudan back to the 17th century. What prompted their production was the sheer number of people who had been converted to the Jodo Shinshu in the Hokuriku region of Japan, after Rennyo-shonin, a Buddhist priest of the same order visited the area to spread the word.
Nanao Household Buddhist Altars
Household Buddhist Altars and Fittings
Words to be connected with the making of Household Buddhist Altars such as lacquer work tool and gold dust, coloring with thin gold leaf tool, gold silver foil were written in ancient documents.
Various words associated with the making of household Buddhist altars appear in an ancient document called Ofuregaki between 1613 and 1703. In one dating back to 1688, there is mention of maki-e-dogu, kinpun and kirigane, all things associated with maki-e decorative lacquer techniques or gilding. There is also a reference to silver leaf in the same document dating back to 1669.
Kanazawa Gold Leaf
Industrial arts materials, industrial arts tool
The history of gold silver foil of Kanazawa is in the latter half of the age of civil strife and can sail up to place where feudal lord Toshiie Maeda of Kaga feudal clan which ruled over area around current South Ishikawa sent book giving from in camp of Korean position the hometown an order for production of foil to.
The history of Kanazawa Haku can be traced back to the latter half of the Sengoku period (1428-1573), when Maeda Toshiie, the feudal lord of the Kaga clan governing the southern part of the area now known as Ishikawa Prefecture, sent a document back to the country from a campaign in Korea, explaining how to produce gold leaf. The Shogunate subsequently set up a gilders' guild and controlled the production and sale of gold leaf throughout the country.